- Working closely with engineers, model makers, sales and marketing staff, and other skilled people;
- Understanding technology, production methods, and materials (such as textiles, metals, and plastics);
- Working within budgets;
- Working to deadlines;
- Researching similar products and developing ideas;
- Making sketches of ideas by hand or computer, and developing the most effective ideas into detailed drawings using specialist computer software;
- Ordering samples or working models of designs;
- Reworking ideas based on discussions and feedback from brainstorming and review sessions;
- Overseeing the testing of the chosen design.
- A keen eye for shape and color;
- An understanding of different materials and production methods;
- Technical, practical, and scientific knowledge and the ability to be interested in the way people choose and use products.